Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Perfect Game Of Chess


John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

John17:14-17 “I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. “I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. “They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. “Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.


Chess computers are so frustrating for me. I love to play chess. But even when I think long and hard, with all of my concentration, and I consider all of my potential options, I always seem to make the wrong moves. Against the computer, I ultimately lose. The machine has all of the potential options programmed in … runs them against your board and Checkmate, your dead! Can you imagine playing chess and never making the wrong move? I would love to watch Jesus play against the computer. His truth transcends all of the information men have ever been able to consider. His mind contains all truth. In fact, the bible is only a small portion of what there is to know about Him, John 21;25 says, “And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written”. Can you imagine what his mind must have been like? I’m glad he only revealed what we need to know.


In the earlier post “Jesus Is Truth", Pilate asked Jesus “What is Truth” Although many would not hold to this truth, for Biblical Christians, the truth is not up for debate. Here we will look into one of the most important sections of the Bible. In John Chapters 13-17, Jesus, knowing he is about to be captured and crucified has one “Last Supper” with his disciples. It was here that he gave his final instructions on how to live, for his disciples and for you and me. It’s as if he said, I am going to outline here once again, all of the most important things you need to know and remember. Jesus shares some most important details here. We will come back again and again, but for now, here are three of his most famous references to truth.


Websters defines "truth" and "sanctify" below as follows:


Your word is (truth): fidelity, constancy, sincerity in action, character, the state of being the case, fact, the body of real things, factual events, actuality, a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality, a judgment, a proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true laws of thermodynamics>, the body of true statements and propositions, of being in accord with fact or reality, fidelity to an original or to a standard. That pretty much covers everything … perfection, never a wrong move, knowing in advance all the right moves. He has given us all of the answers to the most difficult test you could ever take.

(Sanctify) them in the truth: to make holy; to set apart as holy; to make free from sin; to purify; to make binding; to make productive of spiritual blessing; to make seem morally right . Okay now, he has prayed here that we be sanctified in his truth. I don’t feel sanctified like it’s defined here ... do you? Well he sanctifies us, but we must do our part, we must be transformed by the renewing of our minds. Jesus died so that He might live through us. Our life is like a game of chess, and He wants to play The Perfect Game of Chess with us, each day of our lives.


I am the truth: When Jesus said I am the truth, it was the same as saying I am God and everything I am, say, or do is the absolute immutable, irreversable unchangeable truth. Jesus has given us the playbook for all of life in the Bible, and he knows all of the perfect moves. If we follow him we might suffer short term loss, but we are assured long term victory! We can stand on God's absolute truth. Stop! Think! Test! Act! ... Victory Secure!


Previously a reader wrote:

"I liked reading your blog. You have a different viewpoint. The question I would have is do you take what you share as truth or your viewpoint? I have enjoyed reading cs lewis but I have never read the one you suggested. I think it depends on what kind of work you are doing and what the end is that you are working towards that makes the big difference ... but that is just my viewpoint". … Tom
My reply was:

"Obviously, what I write is my viewpoint, But I am convinced that God's word is absolute truth and as Christians, we are called to follow those truths rather than logic, political correctness, scientific theories or the winds of popular opinion" ...


If I could have, I would have added everything in this lesson:

Jesus, the truth, and God, are interchangeable. “ John 1:1,14 “In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the Word was God … and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us” What you or I say is of minimal value unless it has been tested by the truth of God’s word.


God Bless You My Friends ... Bob

1 Peter 1:22-25 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For, “All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever.”

2 comments:

  1. I like the chess illustration Bob. But I was surprised that you didn't substitute the word "computer" for "Neil", since the principle you were trying to convey would most certainly still apply :). Checkmate!

    On a serious note, your reader's question got me thinking. I think some people's concern (disdain?) for strong/absolute viewpoints of another often distract them from actually considering the merits of that viewpoint. I have friends/family, who don't consider the 'actual' claims of Jesus simply on the grounds that they don't like the idea that 'I' espouse a highly exclusive viewpoint. What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil, you must be talking about the few times I let you beat me in chess. Admit it now, you know my Chess skill level is too great for you.

    As far as understanding the logic of those who reject the absolute claims of Christ ... I believe they often unconsciously reject that which is contrary to the conclusions they have already accepted as truth in their mindset. Maybe they think they are more intelligent than the messenger. But, guite often there is no logic to their thinking.

    ReplyDelete