Saturday, January 21, 2012
Then said Jesus
to those Jews which believed on him,
If you continue in my word,
then are you my disciples indeed;
And you shall know the truth,
and the truth shall make you free.
What are your Core Values?
Who are you at your core?
Yesterday, I read an article describing President Obama as: “a man of peerless eloquence … who if re-elected, will be recapitalized; and what he has already done will become entrenched and made irreversible.”
Although I think much of that is absurd, I guess what the writer is saying is that Obama’s political capital would be reconfirmed, and that he then would have a mandate to do whatever he decides is best for all of us; regardless of the truth, regardless of the constitution, and regardless of that which is actually best for us all. Now the little of that which is true … is truly frightening.
The ignorant majority vote on the basis of false promises, and all suffer the consequences of their foolishness.
“He that walks with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.” Proverbs 13:20
When President Obama was elected three years ago, many people had an excuse … they really didn’t know who he was or what he stood for.
Hope and change sounded good but actually this catchy slogan could mean just about anything. But they can’t claim that once again.
Now ... we all know what Obama stands for. His appointments and his actions have made that perfectly clear.
We must consider his actions rather than his words. For example, does Obama care about putting Americans back to work? His rejection of the Canadian pipeline clearly says: NO. He cares much more about the views of the environmentalists and the donations of his union supporters.
Actions speak louder than words.
President Obama’s core values are apparent to all. His decisions are filtered through the doctrines of union leaders, environmentalism, Marxism, socialism, and many other views that are contrary to the teachings of God’s Word.
Unless we take a stand ...
these opposing views will become our children's and grand-children's core values ...
and will to a large degree … rule their lives.
If those in power were to have their way; I am convinced that in the near future,
it will be against the law if one does not follow their doctrines of tolerance and political correctness.
To use an incandescent light-bulb; or to own an unregistered gun will be a crime.
The future will most likely regulate eating, parental, and birth control rights.
This is why it is so important to understand what a leader believes. Extreme views bring extreme results.
The fact that someone claims to be a Christian could mean many things … many of which are the opposite of what the Bible teaches.
God wants us now more than ever, to look into his word for guidance. Our leaders are lost … we cannot look to them.
The idea of the liberal view of religious tolerance is a perfect example. Liberals would somehow define religious tolerance as a rule to give validation to all religious beliefs; rather than simply having tolerance for everyone’s right to believe or practice whatever religion or philosophy they choose.
On the one hand, I can have tolerance for a religion that rejects Jesus Christ and believes otherwise; but at the same time, I have no tolerance for those calling clearly anti-Christian beliefs: Christianity. Liberals of course have no tolerance whatsoever for those of us that reject their definition of tolerance as babble and hypocrisy.
In response to this liberal foolishness I ask ...
Should Jews be tolerant to Muslims calling themselves Jews or visa verse?
Should Christians be tolerant of Atheists calling themselves Christians?
I know this sounds crazy but some are now calling themselves Christian atheists.
We should be true to our beliefs.
We cannot say we are a Christian and believe in evolution without being a hypocrite.
What are your Core Values?
So let’s get to the point.
What should a true Christian’s Core Values be?
What values should we use to measure first ourselves ...
and then those who teach our children,
and lead our churches, as well as our political leaders?
Our options in the coming presidential election are clearly lacking.
But in any event, we should all be considering each persons core values as we search for the one most qualified.
Question: As a true Christian, what should your Core Values be?
Answer: Only God’s Word can truly answer this question. God’s Truth is true regardless of our beliefs, feelings, or religious training. We are all qualified to look into God’s Word and listen to the Holy Spirit. And we are all free to our opinions, but our feelings and personal opinions are of minimal importance when compared to God’s eternal Word.
The Truths listed below are meant to be a list of key verses that all true Christians should know and stand upon. Though clearly not complete, this list can be used as a chain reference to explain what you believe, and why you believe it. In the coming months, I will use these verses one by one as topics for future individual blog posts. Here are the Core Values that the Holy Spirit and God’s Word have led me to present to you:
1. We have the Truth! Sanctify them through your truth: your word is truth. John 17:17 God’s Word is used to sanctify us, to purify us, to consecrate us. God’s Word is Holy. We are to be sanctified or set us apart for sacred use. As Christians, His Word is our basis that everything we believe and our beliefs must be measured up against the eternal truth. God’s eternal Truth is our source of all knowledge, wisdom and understanding. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished to all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
2. God is all, God created all! In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. John 1:1-4
3. The Evil one is clever and present! Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, Yes, has God said, You shall not eat of every tree of the garden? Genesis 3:1
4. Lust and Pride! And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also to her husband with her; and he did eat.
5. The fall and the Curse! To the woman God said, I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; in sorrow you shall bring forth children; and your desire shall be to your husband, and he shall rule over you. And to Adam he said, Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten of the tree, of which I commanded you, saying, You shall not eat of it: cursed is the ground for your sake; in sorrow shall you eat of it all the days of your life; Genesis 3:16-17
6. The Covenant! And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said to him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be you perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with you, and you shall be a father of many nations. Neither shall your name any more be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made you. I will make you exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come out of you. And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your seed after you in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God to you, and to your seed after you.
7. The Law! And God spoke all these words, saying, I am the LORD your God … You shall have no other gods before me … You shall not make to you any graven image … You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain; … Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy …Honor your father and your mother: that your days may be long … You shall not kill … You shall not commit adultery … You shall not steal … You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor … You shall not covet any thing that is your neighbor's.
8. Visions, Dreams, Angels! Yes, while I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give you skill and understanding. At the beginning of your supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to show you; for you are greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision. Daniel 9:21-23
9. The Coming King! Yet have I set my king on my holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD has said to me, You are my Son; this day have I begotten you. Ask of me, and I shall give you the heathen for your inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for your possession.
Psalms 2: 6-8
10. The Prince of Peace! For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, on the throne of David, and on his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from now on even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this. The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it has lighted on Israel.
11. The Miracle Birth! behold, the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a dream, saying, Joseph, you son of David, fear not to take to you Mary your wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:20-23
12. The Living Truth! And the Word was made flesh, and dwelled among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14
13. We Must Be Born Again! Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:3.
14. His Sacrifice for Men! And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:14-17
15. Only One Way To Heaven! He that believes on him is not condemned: but he that believes not is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:18
16. Miraculous Healings! And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years … Jesus said to him, Rise, take up your bed, and walk. John 5:5-8. And a great multitude followed him, because they saw his miracles which he did on them that were diseased. John 6:2
17. Jesus and God Are One! Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. John 5:18
18. The Promise Of Christ! Truly, truly, I say to you, He that hears my word, and believes on him that sent me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death to life. John 5:24
19. Eternal Life! Truly, truly, I say to you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. John 5:25
20. Hypocrites Condemned! Search the scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And you will not come to me, that you might have life. I receive not honor from men. But I know you, that you have not the love of God in you. I am come in my Father's name, and you receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him you will receive. John 5:39-43
These coming months are going to be fun for me.
There are clearly thousands of verses that could be added. I am listing verses that focus on important Bible teachings that explain God’s plan for our lives here and in eternity. This list is to be used as a reference. Many more could be included. I am now only at the beginning of the New Testament and part 2 of this core values list will follow. Don’t hesitate to email me your favorites for addition to the list.
God bless you my friends, Bob